Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Lavender Comet and Green Scrubby Frenzy


When I moved into my current home the first thing that “needed work” that caught my eye was the kitchen sink. It’s this porcelain monstrosity that was covered in unattractive brown stains. Like someone had been pouring coffee in it every day and never cleaned it out.

As moving in was a busy time for both my husband and I who are both freelance writers and had to juggle putting the house together and working simultaneously, the sink wasn’t a huge priority, though it did gross me out a bit. I began to strategize exactly how I was going to tackle this problem. I had several great ideas. For those of you with similar issues, I encourage you to give them a try.



Idea #1:

My theory was to run water in the sink and put the plug in so the water would stay and drop in a cup of my new Clorox Bleach with Lavender and let it sit overnight. I highly doubt any stain would have survived that! Clorox has all these different scents now for bleach such as lemon, clean linen, lavender and fresh meadow. Much better than the old bleach smell.

Idea #2:

I was going to Mr. Clean Magic Eraser it to death. Really. There were moments that I just wanted to attack the darn thing with a vengeance. I use the Mr. Clean Magic eraser on it daily now and it looks awesome. Considering it’s an ugly poorly designed monstrosity of a sink.

Idea #3;

I had purchased this extra large box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and couldn’t wait to tear into it. So many uses I had learned about and was itching to put them to the test. I planned on making a paste of baking soda and water…or baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing it till it shined.

So these were my ideas. I was going to have the shiniest kitchen sink in Spokane. Truly. As I was standing over the porcelain behemoth contemplating my exact attack method, my husband comes up from behind me with a green scrubby and the Comet Lavender Powder.

It was a frenzy of white lavender scented comet and a green scrubby blur for several minutes. I watched in awe as that horrifying brown disintegrated and the sink turned white again. It actually shined! He stood back and I could see him gleaming with pride. I was awe-stuck to say the least. And with the time that he saved me by tackling this mammoth problem I had time to do other things…like blog about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment