Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cleaning The Microwave


While my microwave is nothing fancy, it was given to me by my uncle during harder times in my life and I have yet to replace it, I still would like for it to not be disgusting. I wrote some articles recently on cleaning microwaves that have that have a burnt smell or stain and became inspired. No, I haven’t burnt anything in mine lately, but the ideas are intriguing.



Soak a paper towel in water and set it in the microwave and heat it for 3 minutes.

I guess this will create enough steam to loosen the dirt and burnt on food. Wipe the microwave out with a dry paper towel once the three minutes is up.

Simple Green works wonders!

I haven’t used Simple Green in years. I do know that if you don’t use it in a very well ventilated area the results can be catastrophic. (…remembers mold on Camaro seats…Lots of Simple Green….Long drive in the car…very lightheaded) I’m sure it’s great stuff, but I can’t ever get myself to buy it.

As usual – The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

This one doesn’t surprise me at all. I use this to clean everything.

Nail polish remover?

I read a lot about this in forums, but it has to be the kind with acetone in it. I suppose the real key here is acetone, but most people don’t have that just lying around the house. Nail polish remover is much easier to find. Ventilate the area VERY WELL. Don’t be me with Simple Green.

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

I read somewhere to put some in a coffee cup filled halfway full of water with a couple tablespoons of baking soda. Set the cup in a bowl (to catch whatever boils over) and nuke it for a few minutes. This will help to loosen tough stuck on food particles.

As I write this I’m thinking about my own microwave…I’ll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment