Friday, March 18, 2011

Remove Mold from Linoleum

Mold spores are a daily part of our lives. They exist to decompose dead, organic matter. Without them everything that ever was, would still be. For it to thrive 4 conditions must be met; there must be oxygen, a food source, the correct temperature range and moisture. Mold needs moisture to reproduce, and even more moisture to continue to live. If mold is cleaned up, and the moisture returns, the mold is sure to follow.

Things You'll Need:

• 2 tbsp chlorine bleach

• Plastic gloves

• Scrub brush

Remove Mold from Heating Ducts Without Harsh Chemicals

A heating duct is not a normal place for mold to grow. The mold spores travel through these ducts all the time, but without moisture they cannot thrive. Getting rid of the mold is an easy task; however, getting to it may be a different story. Before taking on the task of removing your heating air vents; verify the mold is in them. If you smell mold or mildew coming from the vents, there is a very good chance that the smell is coming from another part of the house. Do not go after the mold unless you see it in the heating vents.

Things You'll Need:

Hard brush
Lemon juice
Possibly a wet/dry vacuum and hair dryer

Remove Mold from the Fireplace Without Harsh Chemicals

Mold is everywhere. One may not think that the fireplace is one of the areas that mold can form, but it is. If there is moisture, then mold can form. Removal of mold from the fireplace can be a little time consuming, and will require a little muscle, but be assured, it can be removed. In order for mold to grow in the fireplace, there has to be a spot where moisture is getting in on a consistent basis.

Things You'll Need:

Spray bottle
Protective mask
Plastic gloves
Wire brush

1. Create a mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% water in a bucket.

2. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture. Saturate the affected area with the mixture from the spray bottle. Dampening the mold before working on it will help to stop the release of spores into the air.