Friday, March 18, 2011

Remove Mold from the Fireplace Without Harsh Chemicals

Mold is everywhere. One may not think that the fireplace is one of the areas that mold can form, but it is. If there is moisture, then mold can form. Removal of mold from the fireplace can be a little time consuming, and will require a little muscle, but be assured, it can be removed. In order for mold to grow in the fireplace, there has to be a spot where moisture is getting in on a consistent basis.

Things You'll Need:

Spray bottle
Protective mask
Plastic gloves
Wire brush

1. Create a mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% water in a bucket.

2. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture. Saturate the affected area with the mixture from the spray bottle. Dampening the mold before working on it will help to stop the release of spores into the air.

3. Don the protective mask and plastic gloves. This is important since you are working in an enclosed area.

4. Use a wire brush to remove the mold from the fireplace. This may take a little time, but remove as much as you can.

5. Spray the affected area with the vinegar mixture. Saturate the area enough to act as a rinse cycle. Let the mixture sit for 15 to 20 minutes.

6. Rinse the area with warm water.

7. Clean up the mold and remove it from the house. Put the brush in the vinegar mixture and let it sit for a minimum of 30 minutes. Wash your hands if you did not wear gloves. Remove and wash any clothing you were wearing during the cleaning. Vacuum outside of the fireplace if you feel any of the mold spores may have accumulated there.

After you clean the fireplace, be sure to find the source of the moisture and repair it or the mold will be back.


  1. That is a very cost-efficient method for removing mold in the fireplace. It is also an innovative way to minimize the use harsh chemicals in the household. We all want our homes to be as mold-free as possible. One effective way to do this is by regularly cleaning your house. In the long run, it is all about maintaining a healthy home environment for your loved ones.

  2. Oh! This technique can be really effective, as vinegar can kill molds, bacteria and other harmful microorganism from all over the house. Plus, this safe and easy to use cleaner can also be employed to freshen smelly clothes, kill weeds, and clean washing machines.

  3. You’re right, Carlene! In addition, this technique is ideal for homes that still have toddlers or children who explore almost everything inside a house. It is non-toxic and does not release dangerous fumes. It could be an all-in-one cleaner; it can even be used in unclogging toiler bowls.

    Phoebe Clarke

  4. If removal is to be performed when users are still present in the building, it is usually necessary to relocate some users temporarily. Typically, the part of the building from which asbestos abatement is being removed has to be sealed off in order to prevent contamination of the other areas. Methods of sealing off an area often include the use of Polyethylene film, duct tape and negative air pressure machines which are fitted with filters. The idea is that the contained area is pulling fresh air in as to not allow asbestos fibers into the surrounding environment.Only a special vacuum cleaner that's designed for asbestos containment (class H) can be safely used when cleaning up during and after asbestos removal. Ordinary vacuum cleaners cannot be used, even those fitted with a HEPA filter.[1] An ordinary vacuum cleaner will expel the asbestos fibers into the room air.