Vinegar and baking soda are great natural, cheap cleaners that can be used on just about everything. Baking soda is good to use when you need a safe abrasive to remove stains. Vinegar is best used to remove stains and odors. Both of these items are non-toxic, multi-purpose and more importantly, cheap. When mixing these two ingredients, make sure to do it slowly. There will be a lot of fizzing going on. Some enthusiasts use this combination to fuel rockets. It is not dangerous, just a lot of foam, but it could get messy quickly.
- Drains and garbage disposals-Warm the vinegar, create the paste, pour down the drain, wait 5 minutes and rinse with hot water. For garbage disposals, verify this method is all right in the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove coffee stains and bathtub film - Create mixture and scrub. The acid in the vinegar breaks down the stain and the baking soda makes a good scrubbing agent.
- Clean carpet stains – Before trying this, select a hidden area of carpet and try it first to verify it does not damage the carpet. Apply the paste to the stain, wait over night and vacuum it up the next day. The baking soda will absorb the stain. This also works on small areas for odor control.
Straight white vinegar can be used to:
- Clean countertops, inside refrigerators and stove tops with a washrag dipped in white vinegar.
- Remove odors from the oven or microwave wiping it down with vinegar after you have cleaned it. The germs will be removed and allow the vinegar to kill the odor-causing agents. Tip- Place a small bowl of baking soda into the microwave and leave it there. The baking soda will absorb odors after you use the microwave.
- Use a toothbrush dipped in white vinegar to clean the cutting wheel on a can opener, or the rubber lining inside a refrigerator.
- Soak a sponge in vinegar overnight to kill the germs and remove the slime. Tip-You can also place the sponge into a microwave for 1 minute to kill the germs.
- Clean anything from coffee makers to humidifiers by pouring vinegar into where the water goes and turning them on.